Visita a la tumba de los Samánidas
¿Qué sentido tiene postrarse
ante la Meca cuando rezas
Si las chicas lindas de Turkestán
han atrapado tu corazón?
Dios aceptará las tentaciones del amor,
que desvían tu atención,
Pero no aceptará la oración
en la que rezas por temor
Si comparamos la poesía persa de esa época y posteriores con la que se hacía en Europa vemos una evolución muy diferente. Podemos sentir la liberalidad y lo que Nietzsche llamó "la gaya ciencia", "la ciencia alegre" y que solo podía compararse con los trovadores provenzales y el movimiento que Leonor de Aquitania incentivó. Aun así poetas como Omar Jayyam o Hafez muestran que están a años luz de la cultura europea de la misma época, mucho más bárbara y atrasada en todos los aspectos.
The population of Transoxiana was, for a long time before the arrival of Islam, Zoroastrian, Buddhist, Manichaean, Jewish, and also Christian (Nestorian). Many of these traditions continued to coexist even after the advent of Islam. It is well known that Jews and Nestorian Christians, in many respects, enjoyed a greater degree of security there than they did in medieval Europe.
A few years ago, I remember taking a taxi from Chamartín station in Madrid. The driver was Iranian and, although he was Zoroastrian, he seemed almost shy when he admitted it. The presence of all these spiritual currents left a profound imprint upon the whole of Central Asia, and one may say that the Sufism found there is related, in one way or another, to all of them. At a deeper level, it represents a continuity.
Contrary to certain limited and historicist perspectives that seek to locate the origin of the Essential Tradition in a particular ethnic group or historical moment, what we find instead is like the beads of a rosary, whose essential unity prevails over their apparent differences. The differences, understood as Ibn Arabi and other masters understood them, are themselves expressions of the underlying Unity. More than that, such differences are not only manifestations of Unity but also its very condition. The alternative is an abstract notion of unity that inevitably leads to homogeneity.
If Islam possesses one defining characteristic, it is precisely this profound sense of unity within diversity. From this perspective, it becomes clear that one of the most traumatic encounters in the Islamic world has been with the modern nation-state and the concepts inherited from modern nationalism. But I had better stop there, otherwise I shall lose my thread!
At the Samanid Mausoleum (10th–11th century), the first thing that strikes us is its square form and its construction entirely in brick. There is no glazed ceramic decoration. Instead, the brickwork itself is used with remarkable ingenuity and sophistication, creating patterns that transform as the sunlight moves throughout the day. The building is therefore never seen in quite the same way twice. The interplay of light varies according to the countless projections, recesses, and mouldings that compose the structure, producing a beautiful choreography of light and shadow.
Its very architecture is also deeply symbolic: a cube surmounted by a dome that does not rise directly from it. Between the two is an upper band containing small blind windows and cylindrical corner elements. This kind of "ring" functions as a barzakh, an intermediate realm between heaven and earth.
For me, the building conveyed a certain Zoroastrian influence. When I was a student, Nietzsche was the philosopher from whom I learned the most and whom I admired above all others. I was always intrigued that he chose Zarathustra as the spokesman for his philosophy. Clearly, there was a desire to break away from the Western rationalist canon. Nietzsche himself remarked that Zoroaster, as a true Persian, lived according to two supreme principles: to shoot the bow well and to tell the truth.
The Samanids belonged to Persian culture and ruled for nearly two centuries. Saman Khuda was an Iranian nobleman whose descendants elevated Persian to the same cultural status as Arabic. Under the Samanids, philosophy, art, science, and poetry flourished. It was during this period that figures such as Avicenna (Ibn Sina), the great physician and philosopher, emerged. So too did Rudaki, the father of classical Persian poetry:
What is the point of bowingtowards Mecca in your prayersif the beautiful girls of Turkestanhave already captured your heart?God will forgive the temptations of lovethat distract your attention,but He will not accept the prayeroffered only out of fear.
If we compare Persian poetry of this and later periods with what was being written in Europe at the same time, we encounter two very different paths of cultural development. One senses a spirit of openness and what Nietzsche called The Gay Science—a joyful wisdom—which, in Europe, found perhaps its closest counterpart only among the Provençal troubadours and the cultural movement encouraged by Eleanor of Aquitaine. Even so, poets such as Omar Khayyam and Hafez seem to belong to an altogether different world, one that was, in many respects, far more refined than the comparatively barbaric and underdeveloped culture of medieval Europe.
Afterwards we visited the nearby market. This time we wandered through it without bargaining very much. I believe I bought a few spices, although I could not afford to purchase everything I would have liked because I simply did not have enough room in my suitcase. I have said it before, but I really must learn to travel with only the essentials. I always pack "just in case," and end up carrying twice as many clothes as I actually wear. I also remember buying a few refrigerator magnets, together with a pair of traditional-style trousers and a shirt that, to this day, I have never worn.
When we returned to the hotel to rest, our next visit that afternoon would be to the mosque housing a symbolic maqam of the great Abdul Qadir Gilani. It proved to be one of the highlights of the day.
Cristina had discovered the place only recently, despite having visited Bukhara for some thirty years. Amid the overwhelming presence of the Naqshbandis were the Qadiris. There had always been something puzzling about the kashkuls—the traditional dervish begging bowls made from gourds—that she kept buying: around eighty per cent of them turned out to be Qadiri, and she could never understand why. Then she found this mosque and the surrounding Qadiri quarter, and suddenly everything made sense.
Personally, I felt deeply at peace there. But I shall leave that story for the next entry.












Comentarios
Publicar un comentario